THE CHILLING TEMPERATURES in December 2018 and January 2019 tested the strength of our Center staff as they provided warm,...READ MORE
Homeless? We offer freedom and hope!
Are you a homeless man or woman needing freedom from your past and hope for your future? Shelter KC is here to serve you. See below for information about:
- homeless men
- homeless women
- homeless families
Next steps for homeless men seeking overnight shelter
- Come to Shelter KC at 1520 Cherry St. You’ll see a gated entrance, ramp and sign that says “Client Entrance.” You can inquire about shelter at anytime.
- A sign-up and check-in process each afternoon at 3pm. Operating at capacity most evenings, Shelter KC will ensure first-time guests are given a bed, if they are able to sign up at this time. Unless previous arrangements have been made, no guests may check in after 7pm.
- Guests are provided a meal, bed and shower for the night.
- In order to stay with us, guests must pass a breathalyzer test. For the safety of guests, volunteers and staff, guests must be willing to receive a pat-down for weapons or contraband, and they must agree to follow a strict code of conduct.
- At any time, you can request to meet with a case manager who can assist you in getting help. On Fridays, our clothing closet opens up and other services like haircuts, medical and dental exams are offered on occasion.
- By 6 a.m., all of our guests must vacate the bunk room so we can clean, launder and prepare for the following evening.
Men seeking recovery
Men interested in our recovery program are encouraged to inquire with our front desk or our Men’s Center page. To enter the men's recovery program, there is a process to get in and, typically, guests are not admitted the day they apply.
The website page includes more information about our short-term shelter, long-term shelter and long-term recovery program for men.
Next steps for homeless women seeking help
We do not offer emergency overnight shelter for homeless women. Our Women’s Center is a 20-bed residential recovery house for homeless women who are ready to heal from trauma and take steps toward freedom and recovery.
To inquire about enrolling in our Women’s Center program, please call (816) 348-3287.
Help for homeless families
We do not have a facility for children.
Shelter KC offers emergency services for men, residential recovery for men and residential recovery for single women who are not caring for children.
To find emergency shelter for families, contact the Hotline for the Homeless at (816) 474-4599.
We cannot confirm or deny if a family member is staying at Shelter KC. View more answers to frequently asked questions about our shelter services.